O-MY-GOODNESS! I got the most wonderful Mother’s Day present from my kids Monday night.
OK-yes, Mother’s Day is over, but almost everyone was out of town the weekend of Mother’s Day (see why here) and life is so busy and hectic as my family grows and travels and does what they do. So, last night was our first opportunity to get together to celebrate Mother’s Day for me, Tara, Steph and Jovan and to celebrate both Tara’s birthday (May 9) and Steph’s birthday (May 21) as a family!
We do this thing where we pick movie clips that remind us of the birthday-honorees and tell why. That is always a time of laughter and tears, lightheartedness and rich, prophetic meaning.
So, as we gathered after a wonderful laughter-and-chatter-filled meal, the kids said, “Before we start the birthday movie clips, we have one for Mother’s Day for you.” And…..
THEY COVERED MY FAVORITE PARTRIDGE FAMILY SONG OF ALL TIME!!! They got together, did rehearsals, learned parts and did, “It’s One of Those Nights (Yes, Love)”! Can you believe it?!!?
Here is what I know: Tredessa got the idea to do this when she came over and I was playing the song over and over and telling her how much I really love it a few months back.
- Tristan and Rocky put together the music and arrangment and got everyone going;
- Dave and Rocky added guitar and vocals; the girls learned the back-up singer’s harmony (and my beautiful niece, Elise, babysat for 3 hours one morning while the vocal recording was being done);
- Dan Wakefield added the groovy 70’s piano (though Jovan “played it” on the video);
- Stormie did the bass for real (and tried to act like Danny Partridge as she played on video); Tris played the drums (much better than Chris Partridge).
- They recorded the track (except for Rocky’s vocals) and then got together early on a Saturday morning to lip-sync to what they had recorded, using various camera angles. Rocky, who also “mastered” the final soundtrack, really hams it up, as his vocals weren’t there yet, but were recorded later.
- They said it got harder to smile the more times they went through it, but they are adorable – Tredessa parted her hair down the middle for the 70’s effect and Dave unbuttoned his shirt, as everyone dressed in their own 70’s interpretation because Stormie and Steph didn’t have time to put together whole Partridge family outfits for all! The boys pretty much dress like that all the time, though, don’t they? Ha!
- Then the amazing Tristan, producer extraordinaire, took all the pieces and cut and edited them into place and you have a video for me of my kids singing “It’s One of Those Nights!”
I LOVE IT!! Can you tell? Oh-I mean, they all got me other gifts – thoughtful and wonderful as always, but this – THIS is amazing!
You’ll notice that Stephanie is holding Gemma throughout the taping, and Rocky has Averi, and here and there, you’ll see Gavin and Guini and Hunter running around, so they are all there: my family, doing something time-consuming and sweet and over-the-top!
I can tell you this – I do not deserve this kind of work and love, but, wow, I am so honored! Thank-you, sweet Elise and Mr. Dan Wakefield (prince among men) for helping the kiddos do this for me!
And thank-you my sweet children for one of the funniest and most unique gifts I have ever received!
Oh, and yes-I have written about the Partridge Family before! See it here and even listen to some of their music!
I am blessed!…Jeanie
NOTE TO SELF: These kids are awesome! Proof of the grace of God in my life!