Do I love the scents I love because they all smell simply and divinely wonderful? Well, I think they do. But I am also open to the idea that maybe I am associating them with pleasant emotions or people and places that dance in my brain, remembrances in my heart of good times, sacred moments and my best life. The things that smell good and take you back or cause a strong emotional response are worth investigating. And seeking out.
I decided to just let mine out in whatever order they chose to emerge. And I have turned it into a LIST. Because I L-O-V-E lists! And so I not only made this list, I started a new blog category of lists. There will be more. Meanwhile, in compiling this one, I think I have made some discovery about why I love certain smells that not everyone would agree with. What are your best smells, aromas and scents and where did they come from? What do they make you feel or remember? Here are mine…
Mmmm…39 things that smell so good
- a cleansing rain
- Johnson’s Baby Oil – Remember the 1970s, when we used to fry our skin with Baby Oil under the bright sun? Good times.
- a honeysuckle vine
- wild heirloom roses (before they sucked all the scent out by propagating roses to bloom at command and look perfect at all times)
- roast beef slow cooking in the oven with garlic and onions and carrots and potatoes
- fresh ground coffee brewing
- homemade cinnamon rolls (my grandpa owned a bakery you know…I can bake, if I have to)
- fall leaves rustling on a crisp autumn day
- paste, the kind that also seemed tasty in 1st grade
- Rubber Cement
- new car tires (it all started in Western Auto when I was 4…I have never gotten enough of this)
- a freshly fertilized farm field
- a wet bale of straw in my suburban backyard so I can pretend I am on a farm
- black, rich soil on a hot day
- onions being sauteed
- that moment, those few seconds right after a smoker lights up – before it actually turns into disgusting cigarette smoke
- grass in the morning or freshly cut in late afternoon
- lemons (a bowl of lemons to me is like a bouquet of flowers to most women)
- clean sheets
- a newborn baby
- a newborn puppy
- a new car interior
- a fruiting tomato plant
- almond extract (the secret to my amazing buttercream)
- gasoline…LOVE inhaling at the pump
- a brand new box of 64 Crayola Crayons
- freshly sharpened No. 2 pencils
- popcorn-just popped!
- steak on the grill
- Love Spell from Victoria’s Secret
- leather – like if some one is wearing a really nice leather coat, don’t you just want to touch it to help release the scent? And if it is soft leather, are you not tempted to bury your face in it, social norms be darned??
- cedar fence planks at a home improvement store in the spring
- really any lumber at the home improvement stores
- lilacs, oh lilacs…I had a home surrounded by many lilac bushes and would fill the house with 10 or 12 huge bouquets and the lace curtains would blow in the same breeze that fanned the perfume of the lavendar flora…intoxicating…lilacs, how I miss you…
- a campfire – burning wood is so earthy, so sensual
- a handful of cilantro leaves, or basil leaves…or rosemary needles, crushed between my fingers (I bury my nose in this!)
- a freshly painted house
What have I missed….?